This week, I decided to try my hand at some 2-part origami for the very first time and create…a cute cat box! It’s a cat that can also hold your things. What more could you want?
The Cat Box
For this project, you’re going to need two sheets of paper – a bigger one for the body, and a smaller one for the head. The sheet you’ll use for the head should be a quarter of the size of the sheet for the body.
Body (with bigger sheet)
1. Turn your paper over to the white side and fold it horizontally and vertically.
2. Fold each corner of your paper into the center.
3. Flip the paper over, then fold it in half horizontally.
4. Push the outer edges of the paper from both sides into the center to form a smaller square.
5. Pull the outermost flap of your square out so that you form a rectangle. Flatten your piece. Do this to both sides.
6. Take the top layer of the piece and flatten it to the other side. Flip the paper over and do the same to the other side.
7. Fold the outer edge into the center line on both sides. Flip the paper over and do the same to the other side. Then unfold.
8. Fold up the bottom corners of your piece so you form two, small triangles. Unfold. Then tuck those parts underneath your piece so they aren’t seen.
9. Fold the outer edge into the first crease you made on both sides. Flip the paper over and do the same to the other side.
10. Fold the outer edge over onto itself one more time, on both sides. Flip the paper over and do the same to the other side.
11. Turn your shape so that the tip is facing you. Make two small folds near the bottom so that you make two triangles. Unfold.
12. Then, squeeze that part together. This is what will form the tail.
13. Flip your paper over and turn the shape so that the tip is facing away from you. Then, take the top layer of your shape and fold it down so that the tip reaches the bottom edge, like so.
14.Then, fold that flap up.
15.Prop your shape up so that it stands up on its own. Then, pull the shape out from the sides to finish the body of your cat.
16. Re-crease the tail. And voila! Your body is done.
1. Now for the head. This part shouldn’t take as much time! First, fold your paper diagonally so that you form a triangle.
2. Then, bring the outer corners of your triangle to the topmost corner, like so:
3. Fold the tips of your shape down to form two additional triangles. This is what will form the ears of your cat.
4. Take the topmost layer of your shape and fold it down. Then unfold that crease and tuck it into itself so it’s not seen.
5. Flip your shape over and turn it so that the ears are at the top.. Then, fold the bottom point upwards.
6. Then, fold the point downwards to form the nose.
7. Tuck the head you just made into the body of your cat and finally…you’ve made a cute compartment for your room or dorm! You could fairly argue that maybe this takes more effort for what its worth, but if you have some time to kill try it out for yourself! 😉